Damascus History Foundation
About Damascus History Foundation
The Damascus History Foundation is a non-governmental non-profit Syrian organization dedicated to the history of Damascus. The DHF carries out a broad spectrum of programmes aimed at collecting, classifying and preserving historical documents pertaining to the city of Damascus. In addition, DHF seeks to design and implement inclusive research projects on the history of Damascus with the aim of preserving the city’s heritage and its authentic way of life.
The DHF was founded per decision #1041 of the Syrian Minister of Social Affairs and Labor on 17 April 2017.
Damascus History Foundations aims to…
- Document the history of Damascus through the collection of relevant photographs, manuscripts, private papers and official documents.
- Launch exhibitions, galleries and documentary initiatives on the history of Damascus through using any available sources.
- Design and launch promotional programmes and awards for young historians and academics interested in working on the history of Damascus.
- Design and implement training programmes in the fields of documentation, archiving and historical research methods.
- Organise seminars, lectures and other activities centred on the different aspects of the history of Damascus.
- Launch an electronic platform dedicated to the history of Damascus in order to facilitate the publication of photographs, audio-visual material, academic articles and other relevant material on the history of Damascus.
- Cooperate with other local Syrian organisations and academic institutions, in order to exchange knowledge and experience, to the benefit of all parties.
- Build an inclusive library dedicated to the history of Damascus, with the aim of collecting all published works on the topic, in addition to magazines, periodicals, news papers, official documents and stamps. DHF will make these material available to researchers and students, and to the general public.
- Cooperate with organisation working on similar topics across the world in order to share knowledge and experience.
- Support relevant government insinuations and initiatives aimed at documenting the history of Syria and Damascus.